Rough on the river

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
allenray

Rough on the river

Post by allenray »

Went to the Ohio this weekend to pre fish for a tournament this coming saturday. Things were going pretty well temprature was 70 water was clean. Fish were hitting pretty good. Really smacking a spinner bait hard. Even the short ones were putting up a big fight. Then about 11:30 the wind was starting to pick up and for each hour it got harder to cast and keep the boat in place. Next thing I know the wind is 35 to 40 mph and screaming up river causeing 2 to 3 foot white caps which are now coming over the nose of the boat. Now this isn't much if your in a 21foot ranger but for a 16foot Tracker it was getting rough. so I decided to pack it up and head to the ramp I was soaked to the bone by the time I got there plus I was afraid to tie up to the dock because of the rough water and wind. As luck would have it there was another boat at the ramp trying to figure out the same problem except he had a six year old son with him. So we both got to taliking and deciced to tie up and I would watch his boat and son and help him load up. Then he would help me. Thank the lord for the help. We both would of had alot of trouble trying to load up by ourselves. Thanks for the help Jeff...
brendanc

Rough on the river

Post by brendanc »

That's a great story... That sums up the basic values of most anglers "always willing to help their fellow man (and especially fisherman). High winds and current can sure make for an ugly situation, regardless of the size of your boat. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be in my 20' Ranger than my 16' Alumicraft for sure, but somedays the smart move is just to call it a day. Glad to hear you guys all made it back safely!

Let's hope your tournament doesn't receive the same windy conditions!
Brendan C.
allenray

Rough on the river

Post by allenray »

Thanks Brendon, Thank god that guy was there just not tearing my boat up at the dock was enough to be thankful for. The way the waves were coming over the docks was pretty harry. The weather for the tournament is sunny 74 and lovely. I hope to have a great time.