Lake Fork Report--January 27, 2013

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Tom Redington

Post by Tom Redington »

Lake Fork bass are slowly creeping into the creeks as they stage for the spawn. Last year was significantly warmer and there were a few isolated fish on beds by the end of January. Things are running closer to normal this year and we’re entering my favorite time of year on Fork, the prespawn. After a sluggish start to the fall bite, Fork cranked out a bunch of double digit fish, culminated by a 15.02 caught in December. With all of those monsters crashing the banks to spawn over the next few months, that bodes well for a lot of trophy catches this spring.

The beauty of the prespawn fishing on Fork is the crowds are light, especially on the best days. Come to Fork in January or February on a rare warm, sunny, and calm day and you’ll be greeted by a crowd of fair-weather fishermen, likely with little to show for their efforts. Much better is a windy and cloudy day, especially after a warming trend. Hit the lake on a nasty frontal day with rain coming down and the ramps will be empty but you’ll probably find the fish eagerly snapping. Numbers run lower this time of year; however, the average size of your catch is at its highest for the year, usually in the 3.5 to 5 lb range, with a good shot at bass 7 lbs or greater. It’s also the time of year that more 10s, 11s, 12s, 13s, and bigger are caught. As I type this, I keep looking out my office window at the misty grey skies and wish I was on the lake right now…

Lake conditions, lures, and location info are included in the remainder of my report and you can check it out on my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tomredingtonfishing or on my website. Facebook "likes" and Twitter "follows" go a big way with sponsors, and both are much appreciated if you're so inclined.

Good Fishing,

Tom