Bass Fishing in the Rain

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
chin814

Bass Fishing in the Rain

Post by chin814 »

does fishing during the rain have any effect on bass fishing?
brendanc

Bass Fishing in the Rain

Post by brendanc »

Pete, rain absolutely has an effect on bass and bass fishing... How does rain effect bass and bass fishing? That depends on the weather conditions surrounding the rain and the seasonal stage that the bass are in.

If you are interested in learning about weather and it's effect on bass, I would recommend purchasing a copy of the book "Lunker" by Bob Underwood. He does a great job of going into the effects that weather has on bass in different bodies of water. You can get a copy through our bookstore located at:
http://www.bassinusa.com/busa/buy_n_sel ... /index.asp

(It's is listed in the text links on the right side of the page)

Here is a quick tip for fishing rainy days when the air temperature remains consistent:

Focus on areas that create an inflow of water near the shoreline. (i.e. A drainpipe, small creek entering the lake, etc.) The rain will wash an abundance of creatures that live on land into the water (i.e. worms, bugs, etc.). Try fishing natural colored plastic worm rigged "wacky style" with no weight, where the water is rushing into the lake. Bass will often position near the line created where clear water and stained or muddy water meet. Let the worm drift on free line the current. Watch your line carefully, if it stops, twitches, or begins to move in a direction other than the direction that the current is moving... set the hook.

BC
Brendan C.
johnnie crain outdoors

Bass Fishing in the Rain

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Bassinpete,
Fishing in the rain and just after a rain has provided me with some of my best fishing. The rain oxygenates the water, reduces visability, scatters bait fiah and allows the bass to cruise the shallows with more confidence, they get a little braver and easier to catch. I really like tandem spin spinnerbaits fished just below the surface during a rain, use copper blades, large ones. Also, twitching a large Rapala on the surface will catch fish unless it's really pouring down.Also, Brendans advice about seeking run off water is excellent. Don't let rain stop you, unless it's lightning, then take a break somewhere safe till its over. Go Get em' Johnnie Crain, Iowa Pro Staff.
Johnnie Crain