Lost One!

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
Crestliner

Lost One!

Post by Crestliner »

Ice is finally gone from all of our western MA ponds. Did a little early crappie fishing this weekend, before Easter. Pulled out my UL 7' B n' M SSS with 2# test mono. Caught a few small crappie on a 2" SK Crappie Thunder (solid tube). Most bites were just a weighted feeling on the line. Then I got a distinct "tap" and set the hook. The rod didn't move. Figured it was on the bottom. Then it shook it's head and I knew I had a good fish on.

Now I've landed a lot of big fish on this rig. Some big bass and northern pike. It's surprising how truly tough 2# test mono is. (Trilene XL.) Fought her for a bit more than 2 minutes. Slow, but powerful surges. The drag worked just fine. She came up and showed herself. A fat female LM, somewhere around the 4 - 5 lb. mark, I'd guess. She turned when she saw me and the line parted. Guess the mono couldn't take the rasping lips. Oh well, I know she's there. And it was a fine way to start the season anyway! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Lost One!

Post by brendanc »

Great story... been there myself many times. 2# test is no joke, you have to be on you "A" game all the time. Those are the ones that keep us coming back time and time again. If we caught them all, we'd... well, ok, we'd still want to fish, but you know what I mean... lol

Thanks for sharing... Spring has Sprung!
Brendan C.