Post-Spawn frustration

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
wgbassgirl

Post-Spawn frustration

Post by wgbassgirl »

Ok..over the years I have learned quite a bit about bass fishing from some great anglers, many that post here, but the post spawn still has to be the hardest time for me to fish.

I have finally started using a top-water bait, a popper, and haven't quite mastered the technique just yet.

I definitely seem to lose my patience way more during the post spawn. This pic is a great representation of how I feel. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />

chrissy

Post-Spawn frustration

Post by chrissy »

I agree 100%!! I have a tough time during the post spawn too. My husband loves it because he ties on his Zara Spook and wacks 'um but I have a hard time working a spook. I have tried poppers and top water prop baits with little success. I just stick with my Zoom Ole Monster worm texas rigged with a 3/8 oz bullet weight. I don't catch many but the ones I do catch are good ones. Thankfully the fish down here are moving out to the deep water and we are catching them good with Caralina rigs and Texas rigs.
brendanc

Post-Spawn frustration

Post by brendanc »

Post spawn can be tricky for sure. Just got back from Lake Champlain and most of the fish at the south end of the lake were in the post spawn stage. We opted to run north up near the Burlington, VT area to look for pre-spawn and spawning Smallmouth bass. On really big lakes, you have that option many times. You can find bass in all three stages (Pre, Post and Spawning). The trouble is with the weather... making long runs can sometimes be real trouble when the wind starts blowing.

In the "late post spawn" or what I feel is really more the start of early summer, top-water lures can be king for sure. Another option (instead of a Zara spook) is a Lucky Craft Sammy (or a good knock off bait of that type). For someone who is having trouble "walking the dog" with a Zara spook, the Sammy is a bit easy to make walk. The key is always making sure that you allow a little slack in your line in between pulls. (Maybe I'll put together a video on this technique)

Always keep the rod tip pointing down. You don't need to make long pulls, but rather a short pull down, followed by you letting the rod tip move away from you to allow slack in the line. Turn your reel to pickup the slack and then make the next pull. Repeat the pattern. Start slow and watch the lure so you can see that it is turning to one side, the next pull will send the lure tracking back in the opposite direction and that's how you get that nice side to side motion called "walking the dog".

Brendan C.
wgbassgirl

Post-Spawn frustration

Post by wgbassgirl »

Chrissy - I just started to use a popper and it was not an easy technique. It got a little easier by the end of the day, but I still did not catch anything. It was probably more my technique than anything. Zara spooks seem to be popular. I like your idea about using the worm. I love using Keitech swimbaits, but in the post spawn, they just don't work as well.

I like when the bass are all recovered and back to being aggressive..
wgbassgirl

Post-Spawn frustration

Post by wgbassgirl »

Brendan that would be great if you could put a video together. I was very inconsistent with the technique. I also wasn't used to it, and since it was new for me, I lacked the confidence you need out there when trying to catch under tough conditions.

I think I'll try Chrissy's worm technique next time.

Thanks for the advice
brendanc

Post-Spawn frustration

Post by brendanc »

Didn't get a chance to make a video on top water yet, but I did put together a quick post-spawn article that you might find helpful: Post Spawn Fishing Article
Brendan C.