Hot Summer Largemouths

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Crestliner

Hot Summer Largemouths

Post by Crestliner »

Getting our 3rd. heat wave around here this week. 4+ days at >90 degrees by mid-day! Two small (<100 acres each) ponds in our area have some decent sized (3 - 4 lbs.) largemouths cruising the shorelines. These fish are pretty much untouchable, as they can see you long before you see them. We've tried top waters, Senkos, cranks and big worms.

However, one presentation that has been working well for us, early in the morning (5 - 9 am) is the Sweet Water Chub, fished like a small, soft jerkbait (which it actually is). The bass seem to rush it when it first touches down. They eat it without consern, especially after the first jerk or two. Not sure how many of you have tried this bait, but if it isn't part of your tool box, you might want to re-consider. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Hot Summer Largemouths

Post by brendanc »

Great approach for spooky bass in the shallows. I like the same approach but I've been using 3" sluggo on 6 lb fluoro... barely makes a splash when it hits the water. Who makes that Sweetwater Chub?
Brendan C.
Crestliner

Hot Summer Largemouths

Post by Crestliner »

Spruce Mountain Lures in Danbury, CT makes the Sweet Water Chub. They are 3" in length as well, like the Sluggo, but a bit fatter in profile. I like the rainbow trout pattern. Seems to work all the time! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
Crestliner

Hot Summer Largemouths

Post by Crestliner »

I'm using an old fashioned Mustad "keeper" worm hook - the one with the straight pin at the eye. Size is 2/0, no weight. These little plastics have sufficient weight to themselves.

I use very short twitches, then let it die, then repeat. I cast them on a light action, 7' spinning rod, Cardinal 101 reel, 6# test Fireline mainline and a 3' section of 10# test fluoro for a leader. I connect the leader to the main via a Spro #8 PowerSwivel. This combo has worked very well for me over the years. Casts a country mile. Smallies, big crappie, largemouths and surprisingly pike go for these small jerkbaits in summer up here.
brendanc

Hot Summer Largemouths

Post by brendanc »

Great stuff... I really like the profile of these lures... going to get some for sure... Thanks for sharing!
Brendan C.