Drop Shotting for Smallmouths

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

My apologies if this gets a bit long winded, but I believe it may offer some new drop shot fishermen a shortcut to improving their success. You've been warned! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />

I've been drop shotting now since 2001. Learned the technique back then from an old fishing friend of mine in Japan. Started off with very short hook to sinker line lengths and monofilament. Since then (and many, many smallies later), I've progressed through various nuances of this technique.

For many years I was a staunch student of the RichZ camp; advocating light 4# - 6# fluoro all the way, with no swivel or separate DS leader.

Then I started using pre-tied 4# leaders, wrapped around a velcro tube (Netcraft), as we'd have to change leaders after every 2 or 3 smallies - or you'd break off! This facilitated quick leader changes and upped our daily catch quantities tremendously. We also attached a #8 Spro PowerSwivel about a foot above the hook, to help with line twist. To the end of this, we attach a "snap hook" (Netcraft again). Thus, a quick un-snap & re-snap and you were back in business with a freshly tied leader.

Been using this process for about 5 seasons and was satisfied. Recently though, I've heard and read a lot about employing braid for your main line, along with a fluoro DS leader. This season I finally gave it a try. Using 10# test PowerPro and a 3' section of 6# test fluoro for the leader. I still use the PowerSwivel to connect the two, but I've taken line twist in a different direction besides. I've started using #2 VMS Spin Shot hooks! (I can hear the rumblins in the "old camp" now!) Talk about a travesty! LOL! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />

I'm still using my steel bass casting sinkers on the end; lead has been outlawed in MA (and I can't afford tungsten). That about rounds out where I am at this point in my learning curve. Due to some medical & family issues, I haven't been out that much this past month, but 3 weeks ago we had a pretty good day on Quabbin Res. using this new tooling:

This is two pictures of my largest for the day (6 hours):

Enough eye candy for now. We probably caught between 10 - 15 smallies each that day; not counting quite a few dinks which were less than 2#. The point is, that changing to braid and a new hook did little negatively effect our catch ratio. Further, my point here is that 1) you are never too experienced to learn something new and 2) nothing, with regards to fishing, is cast in concrete. Experiment, Never stop learning and be thankful for this wonderful sport or ours! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Great post... and nice catches. Nice to see you around again Crestliner. There are so many different ways to tie a drop shot rig and the components keep getting better and better. Your insight into drop shot rigging provides a lot of info for people searching for the right setup.

For me personally, I have found that speed of re-rigging is important during tournaments so I stuck with straight fluorocarbon and a Palomar knot... (cut away sinker on the bottom). I can tie this rig really fast, so for me it works. I'll retie after every big fish I catch, so line twist hasn't been a real trouble for me personally. I also treated myself to a high end G-Loomis rod many years ago, so sensitivity is not a problem either.

In the end it's all about personal preference and confidence in what you're fishing, right?

Thanks for sharing!
Brendan C.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

I couldn't agree with you more. I've never done the tournament thing. For me, fishing is not a competition; rather an one on one with me & nature. Tremendous sport however you enjoy it.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Well, as I said, this is my first season with the PP. If I run into problems with it, I'll certainly take your recommendation and switch. Actually I'm a fan of Fireline. Been using it for a lot of years. The only reason I'm not using it for drop shotting is because my friends recommended the PP. We'll see. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Don't forget Daiwa Samurai Braid... nothing compares to the feel of this braid. and the diameters are smaller for pound test you buy when compared to the competition. (Sorry for the sales pitch, but I really love this braid...)
Brendan C.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Are you using that Diawa braid for drop shotting?
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I don't use braid for drop shotting, but if I did, I would use Daiwa braid...
Brendan C.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

We hit the Quabbin again yesterday morning for a few hours. Launched around 7:10 am and LOST 5 quality smallmouths by 8:30 am!!! These were decent fish, around the 3 - 3 1/2# mark.

We were drop shotting using the Spin Shot hooks I spoke of earlier in this thread. Most were lost on the 2nd. or 3rd. jump at boatside. Very disappointing! After taking this beating, we re-rigged back up using the Gamakatsu drop shot hooks that we had been using for years. Caught two more smaller bass (2# or less) and then eventually one decent, solid 4:

I do not think I will ever again attempt using these Spin Shot hooks. I believe the problem stems from the hook being loose on the spindle of the device. With it moving freely (and not bound tight to the line), it gives the bass a point of leverage that could prove troublesome. Not positive that is the cause, but convinced enough that I won't be experimenting with it again for quite a while! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Nice report... for finesse drop shot fishing, I stick with the Gamakatsu Drop Shot hooks too... they just don't come unbuttoned.

If it's not broke... >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" /> right?
Brendan C.