Ice Out Bass Fishing?

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
wgbassgirl

Ice Out Bass Fishing?

Post by wgbassgirl »

I know it's still freezing here and there's snow ice on the ground, but I'm hopeful the warm weather will be coming our way soon and melting the ice on the ponds and lakes.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to catch bass during the ice out. I've heard jigs are good when worked slow. I know it can be really hard to catch so any tips anyone can offer would be great.

Thanks
brendanc

Ice Out Bass Fishing?

Post by brendanc »

Sometimes after ice out, it's tough to beat a suspending jerkbait. Although there are never any set rules in bass fishing , a long pause between twitches can really be effective for cold water bass.
Brendan C.
brendanc

Ice Out Bass Fishing?

Post by brendanc »

We crushed them today from my pond hopper. Nothing over 5 lbs but many 3-4 lbs #largemouth #bass. In total we caught over 20 bass today flippin' 1/2 oz. black Keitech Model 1 Jigs, with black Paca Chuck trailers into isolated weed clumps. These ice out bass we hunkering down at the base of the Milfoil clumps. Every pitch needed to be on the shady side of the weed clumps and had to make contact. Once you made contact a few quick snaps of the rod tip would trigger a reaction strike from these lethargic largies. Ice out fishing couldn't get any hotter! There were several other boats on the water today... great to see people getting out and enjoying the the quick break we had in the weather. For more on Ice Out bass fishing check out: http://www.bassinusa.com/bass-fishing-a ... melts.html

Brendan C.
Crestliner

Ice Out Bass Fishing?

Post by Crestliner »

Hard to beat jerkbaits & jigs right after ice out, but don't discount blade baits either. Of course I target smallies more than largemouths at ice out (if it ever comes!), but I can't imagine that blades would do poorly for that species as well. And if there are any lakers around, the blades will clobber them as well.
wgbassgirl

Ice Out Bass Fishing?

Post by wgbassgirl »

Looks like you had a great day there Brendan.

Crestliner, I know what you mean. It seems like winter doesn't want to quit. But we definitely have some thawed out ponds here and the weather is supposed to be a little better this weekend, so I'm hoping I can get out there.

I think it's a good time to get more familiar with jerkbaits and blade baits. As Nunz mentioned I need to go slow.

Thanks every for the tips. If I get out there this weekend I will let you know how it goes.