Dog days not at night

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
allenray

Dog days not at night

Post by allenray »

Haven't been on here in a while been too busy fishing!! Went to Lake Erie the end of June spoiled me bad. The waste lands of southern Ohio are tough to fish after the slug fest up north. But the night tournaments haven't been too bad. Plus dealing with all the algee blooms which seem to be declining. The fishing seems to be getting better. It seems that at night you would be using bigger baits but have found smaller finesse baits have been the ticket. Craws jigs and tubes have produced the best. Can't seem to get a top water bite or spinner bait either with the occational crank bait bite. But every year seems to be different. Just keep chucking and winding!!
brendanc

Dog days not at night

Post by brendanc »

Hey allenray... long time... boards been quiet all summer. Everyone's to busy fishing for sure. lol I've been having the same thing this year, smaller jigs have been working real well for me at night. Haven't had that real good top water bite this year either.

And of course you have to bring up Lake Erie in June!!! >/groucho.gif" alt="[marx]" title="[marx]" height="29" width="41" />

Miss that place...
Brendan C.
allenray

Dog days not at night

Post by allenray »

Yep got spoiled there that weekend. would go for about an hour with nothing and then bam! 5 or 6 in a row. We were around East Harbor by Sandusky Bay. Learned to hit the harbors around the bait boats coming in off the main lake. in the morning they would off load their catch when I noticed them tossing dead bait off the side and the water would go nuts. Tossing a shad color tube weightless got me a lot of my keepers. Also looked for birds and jumps along points. The white bass where pushing the bait to the surface but the large mouth were sitting on the bottom under them. Waiting for the left overs. I couldn't compete with the bigger boats going out to the islands and the 5 and 6lb smallies but had a great time anyway.
brendanc

Dog days not at night

Post by brendanc »

I might be making a trip there this fall. I went to Chaumont Bay (Lake Ontario) last fall... that place is insane also. In fact the whole great lakes region has unbelievable fishing. Was up in Connecticut fishing an open tournament this weekend. Great practice on Saturday... then the wheels came off during the tournament! lol One of those crazy days where everything just went the wrong way. Missed fish, fish coming unbuttoned... stuff like that.

You got anymore tournaments coming up?
Brendan C.
allenray

Dog days not at night

Post by allenray »

Yes three more before the classic. Two on the Ohio river and one at Ceasers creek next week. The classic is at Nolin River in Kentucky can't wait for that one the fall bite there is awesome!! I dread Ceasers because of the muskies last year I had one over 50'' and one 35'' scares the crap out of you when they hit at the boat! Plus it's a deep ledge lake which I'm not used to fishing. But I'm in 9th place right now and I need the points if I'm going to make the top six. It's been a tough season this year spring was great but the summer has been really slow getting a limit has been almost impossible.

How have the tournaments been for you this year?
brendanc

Dog days not at night

Post by brendanc »

Big Muskies at the side of the boat can wake you up for sure! lol

Tournaments went really well this spring, lots of wins and took a check in just about everything I fished. Been playing more music than fishing this summer with my band. Fished two tournaments this summer, took a check in one and bombed in the other.

I'm looking forward to fall on the Hudson River. That place is awesome in October and November...

You going to get in some practice on that deep ledge lake before your tournament?
Brendan C.
allenray

Dog days not at night

Post by allenray »

yep going this weekend to scope out some areas. Water temps are still in the hi 70's to low 80's. So deep is the answer. I didn't know you played in a band! I did that for 25 years sang lead in a country rock band. But age and life caught up with us LOL. But after years of getting paid to haul equipment it was time to retire. I still get calls to do the National Anthem which we were kind of famous for. It's just not the same since we did a three part harmony version and the high tenor can't sing anymore from health reasons. But that leaves more time for fishing when running my store isn't holding me up. Only won one tourney this year but it was a good one my partner and I put 40lbs in the boat on a two day tourney which was awesome! I turned him on to using a brushhawg on a shakeyhead and we cleaned up!
brendanc

Dog days not at night

Post by brendanc »

Music and Fishing... great combo... can't go wrong. That's cool that you were a lead singer. I know what you mean about hauling equipment. lol That get's old fast. Been playing Guitar for a long time.

Here's one we put up on YouTube from our last gig.

Brendan C.
allenray

Dog days not at night

Post by allenray »

Awesome sounds good!! Check us out on reverbnation.com Timeless band. And on youtube timeless band Miamisburg national anthem. I can't figure out how to get it on this page lol...
brendanc

Dog days not at night

Post by brendanc »

That's really cool... Love the Harmonies. I'll post it for you...

Brendan C.