A Successful Smallmouth Trip; 9/10/14

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Decided to hit the Quabbin Res. for some smallmouth bass. We launched around 7:30 am and were off the water by 2 pm. Not a long day, but a successful one. Started off cold with air temps around 55 degrees which only warmed up to around 68 when we pulled off. Water temp was still 70 degrees. Here's what the day looked like as we moved out:

We hit 8 structures we were familiar with. Only 4 of them had bait on them, which is the prerequisite for finding fish here. Some of the bait balls were significant:

And some were suspended:

Tried tubes, crankbaits, drop shot, Senkos and curly tails on jigs. The tube and the drop shot were top producers. Here's a few of the smaller bass caught & released:

And a couple of better ones:

Around 1 pm we hit a spot where I took a really nice smallie on a diminitive 3" ds worm. She went over the 5 pound mark and plum wore me out before being boated. Here's two shots of this remarkable fish:

All in all we took 13 smallies in 6 hours of fishing, some dinks, some decent fish. A fun day to be on the water. On the way out I took this shot of a much improving day:

Some days it just pays to get up! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hey Crestliner,

Nice to hear from you again. Always enjoy reading your reports...

Sounds like a great day. Thanks for the report. Boy was that big smallie fat for this time of year. Got out myself over the weekend. We had some nice ones, but nothing over 4 lbs. Going to give Disney World another go... haven't been there in many years. Be looking for largies (obviously) >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.