Tidal Cranking help

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
Murphangler

Tidal Cranking help

Post by Murphangler »

Dudes & Dudettes,

I have routinely found what would be described as "textbook" cranking spots on the Potomac (see below) and yet I have been completely skunked by them, and have been a shallow water angler to produce any results. Are any of you having success cranking the Potomac in depths greater than 4 feet, and if so, without giving away spots, is there anything you've found that triggered success for you?
Most of you should recognize this spot, which I refer to as "guaranteed catfish point"....

[img:left]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56111881[/img]
Jerk 'em out.... put 'em in the box!
brendanc

Tidal Cranking help

Post by brendanc »

Yes... switch over to a jig and punch the matted vegetation! >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" /> (just kidding)

This is probably not the direction you were looking for this topci to go, but one thing you might want to look at is color... The times that I've fished the Potomac, always seemed like you needed to go with firetiger or something with a lot of Chartreuse in it. Shallow or deep... The natural colors like shad and such just never really produced well for me or the guys I know who fish there a lot. Tennessee Shad colors that have some chartreuse in it work well.

There's certainly more room here for others to chime in with some thoughts on current, bottom composition, etc.
Brendan C.
Murphangler

Tidal Cranking help

Post by Murphangler »

I apreciate the help, I to have found a black back/ charttreuse to be highly effective on the P-Mac, but its always shallow cranking - the deep stuff has just eluded me. I do well with a shakey head, but ZIPPY Zap on a crankbait
Jerk 'em out.... put 'em in the box!