Color- Important or just another.....

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

.....piece of the puzzle?
OK Pro Staff, what effect does lure color selection have on your ability to pattern and catch fish?
Thanks in advance. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

Joe, I believe color is important to a certain degree. I feel bass see shades of color, so if they prefer purple that day, any shade of purple will do, it does not need to be color 123 instead of 124. More importantly, I feel color plays a big part in the anglers confidence in the lure he is using. The more confidence one has in a color, the better it will produce.
Tim Carini
dansfishntales

Post by dansfishntales »

Joe,
I have a basic color system for all of my lures. Tubes: black/red flake, watermelon, and pumpkinseed. Plastic worms: black, watermelon, grape and pumpkinseed. Craw
worms: black/blue, black/chartreuse, and pumpkinseed. Jig combo: black/blue,
black/chartreuse,pumpkinseed/orange. Jerk worms: white or shad, and watermelon. Rattling shad style crankbaits: shad and firetiger. Crankbaits with bills: shad, firetiger, and crawfish. Spinnerbaits: white, white/chartreuse, and shad (the new Silver and Gold series in the Gambler Pro spinnerbaits work well). I'm sure something has been forgotten, but that will cover a lot.
Now for the patterns. Well, there isn't enough room on the board without writing an
article, so I'll try to generalize. On the soft plastics and jigs I'll use black colors as my basic standby, then go to something with watermelon/chartreuse (especially in later spring and summer), and if there is a heavy feeding on crawfish use the
pumpkinseed/brown colors. Jerk worms, while still under the soft plastic category, I'll use white or shad most of the time, but for something different will switch to
watermelon. On crankbaits, it is shad colors most of the time, firetiger in muddy water or where bluegills are the main food
base, and crawfish where crawfish are the main food source. Spinnerbaits are usually up in the air, but I'll start with a shad, and move to white/chartreuse, especially in stained to muddy water.
I've got more in-depth pattern ideas, but as I said, this would take up a lot of room.
Hope this answers your question.
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
britchie

Post by britchie »

Yes sir color plays a great part in catching fish as well as catching the fisherman. But I believe that it catches more fisherman than actually catching fish. As Dan mentioned there are the basic colors to stay with, black, blue, brown, green, and a shad color.
Now a person should elaborate on these colors to fine tune his arsenal but basic colors will never let you down. Pay close attention to what the fish are keyed on and try to match that as close as possible. Also throughout the country every crawfish or shad are not the same color, this is why we all need those 40 different colors of tubes or cranks that are wives raise cain about.
Brian Ritchie : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Kentucky
d.mcgarry

Post by d.mcgarry »

Joe,I have found that color and shades have a positive effect on your confidence and confidence is the most important element in Bass Fishing. I stay with three basic patterns of crank bait colors, Chrome/shad,Chartrues and last Bone and Orange. in worms and tubes Dark and light green, smoke, Black, and Pumpkin brown with a blue flake. purple grape and Bone. Spinerbaits white and chartruese or brown and orange. Jigs Black blue purple. When it comes to color I like many anglers talk out of both sides of our mouth, I say keep it simple stupid yet have a million shades and have special colors for certant lakes. I think if a Bass can see it they will hit it and if they can't but can feel it they will hit it. We should spend more time being concerned with Location and presentation not the fluff but with confidence we perform better. Good Bassin Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
jeffohioteam1

Post by jeffohioteam1 »

joe,
color has a small part of lure selection for me, stick to your basic colors and you can't go wrong. the colors are chartruce,white,blue, and brown. nothing can replace following the proper seasonal patterns, and placing a lure in front of a bass with the right presentation. getting caught up in all the hipe on all the colors puts your mind in the wrong place, concentrate on presentation, and location.
Jeff Chudzinski : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Ohio
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Looks like everyone of you mentioned staying with the basics and not to get caught up in all the new tones, colors and shades.

I couldn't sum it up as well as you gentlemen have done. For those who follow these posts, I suggest you re-read them like I will be doing.

JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator