Flippin'

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeMo

Flippin'

Post by JoeMo »

Being a long-time flipper, I've heard that it is not the effective technique that it used to be. Based on your personal experience with flippin' and with the partners you have fished with, is that true in 2002?
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
dansfishntales

Flippin'

Post by dansfishntales »

Joe,
We have been having a lot of heavy rain, and a couple of the lakes I fish have some very high water. Because of this I've been flippin' into flooded trees, brush and weeds with tubes and Jelly Worms. The technique still works. Most all of my fishing is done with flippin' and pitchin', as the waters around and in the Mississppi River area are full of heavy cover. Some cuts and chutes in the Mississippi are not much wider than a boat or two, so there sure isn't much room for a cast. Also, fishing an old duck blind definitely needs a flip. Another thing is to flip stumps that have been hit in advance with spinnerbaits, as the more inactive fish will most likely be holding tight to the roots, and in hollowed out areas. All in all, yes, flippin' still works.
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
SMbass

Flippin'

Post by SMbass »

I believe the reason flipping does not have the exposure it used to, is that many of the national tournaments are held in the southeast. That region of the country has experienced severe droughts in the last two years, conditions that are not ideal for flipping. However, it is still an important arsenal in my tournament fishing. One thing I have done that has made my flipping more accurate while also maximizing my energy use, is using an 8' Flipping stick. I use a Lamiglas 8' rod, the extra foot over the standard 7' rod makes a world of difference with presentation, flipping ease, and hauling the bass out of heavy cover.
Tim Carini
d.mcgarry

Flippin'

Post by d.mcgarry »

Joe, I think Tim makes a good point Flippin is a high water technique and of late the water has been low and clearer than normal. Flippin still is the best dirty water technique going it is actually a finesse method with big heavy tackle short quick flips to small select areas and targets. I like to flip whenever I can but more often will pitch a jig, Any time I have high muddy water with a cold front I flip all day. Good Bassin Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

Flippin'

Post by JoeMo »

Dan/ SMBass/ Danbass: You fellas have renewed my feelings about flippin'. I realize that if the water is gin-clear, no one can flip long enough and still catch bass.
But, as you have all indicated, where there is heavy cover and/or dirty water, flippin' is a great technique.
I do have one question that is about the 8" flippin' stick Tim spoke about. I always thought the pro tournaments limited you to
7'6". Or was that raised like the outboard horsepower limitation was?
Good Fishing (correction: Good Flippin'!)
Joe Mo
Good Fishing,
jeffohioteam1

Flippin'

Post by jeffohioteam1 »

joe,
no, fliipin hasn't fallen off, and it never will. the reason is your are putting a bait in a strike zone window that cannot be done any other way. it is a precise presentation that will produce anywhwere in the country. the 2001 classic was won by pitchin and flippin. i never put my boat in the water without having a flippin stick in the rod locker. i would have to guess that 85% of my fish this year have been caught flippin, and the best part of this technique is that it catches quality fish, that is what us tournament fisherman need. another good thing about flippin is that you can flip anthing, a spinnerbait,jig,tube,worm,crankbait,or any soft plastic, it is a very versitile method.
Jeff Chudzinski : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Ohio
SMbass

Flippin'

Post by SMbass »

Joe,
B.A.S.S. did raise the rod length limit to 8 feet. Personally, I feel there should be no limit at all on rod length. That is similair to saying line test should have a limit.
Tim Carini
mofish

Flippin'

Post by mofish »

Flipping has been my main way of catching fish. Last year all our lakes were low but this year they are full and the grass and brush has grown and the flipping is great.

I also use pitching alot to on the clear lakes that we fish. Getting in to close to flip spooks them out.

I to have flipped all different types of lures to catch fish. I have not been doing very good with my skippping lures under docks and have found a way when I am flipping to get the lures further under the docks. Its a little ruff on my line but when you use Fireline it takes care of some of this. As I start my flip I move the bait with a little more force and let the line hit the board on the dock and kinda sling shot the bait up under the dock. When the line hits the board on the dock it speeds the bait up alot and I just let the momentum of the bait carry it up under there. You would be suprised at how far it will go back under there when you get good at it. It takes some practise but it a quite way to get the bait up under there with out the birds nest that I get trying to skip it under the docks.

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeMo

Flippin'

Post by JoeMo »

Jeff, Tim and Conley- Flippin' has been around so long. I had visions of all those great times with the short line going the way of the Passenger Pigeon. (Not in my boat, it wouldn't!)
Thanks for making this Connecticut Basser feel better. Good Fishing JoeMo
Good Fishing,