Murky Water

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeMo

Murky Water

Post by JoeMo »

There is a fella named Slyguy1 on the General Fish Talk Board who is asking about Murky Water. I suggested he read the posts about Coffee colored water that we discussed a week or 3 ago. Any Pro Staffer want to give him some additional info?
Thanks in advance. Good Fishing, JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
JoeMo

Murky Water

Post by JoeMo »

Thanks to the River Rat (Brian Ritchie), Slyguy1 is better prepared to go after Bass in murky water.
Anglers may want to take a peek at Brian's advice over on the General Fish Talk Board.
(I'm taking notes) JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
jeffohioteam1

Murky Water

Post by jeffohioteam1 »

When faced with murkey water, i fish a 3/8 ounce jig with a zoom super chunk, this bait moves alot of water and can get a bass' attention even in muddy water.
Jeff Chudzinski : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Ohio
johnnie crain outdoors

Murky Water

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Slyguy 1,
I too face a lot of murky water fishing here on the Mississippi river. My best suggestions would be a large tandem spin spinnerbait with big gold blades. Gold doesn't need much light penetration to flash. I prefer a charteuse skirt especially one with the little pearlesant fibers attached. Then I always add a three inch twister tail grub, usually white, and I insert a rattle into the twister tail. Most creatures deprived of light under the water turn very pale. Then I spray on a lot of fish attractant. All over the bait and even about a foot up on the line. I want my bait to appeal to all the basses senses, sight, which is limited, smell, which they rely on heavily in dark water and vibration, which is picked up through the lateral line. Dark colored, slow moving crankbaits are also effective, I like a brown Mud Bug in a big size, in dirty water, I always over-size everything, makes it easier for the fish to locate the bait. For really stained water, you might try this trick. Hopefully you don't embarrass easily. This I'd most likely do when fishing alone or when really desperate, but the truth is, it works!! Trust me. Throw a large, single spin buzz bait in black with a black or gold blade and keep it below the surface. Everytime it trys to break the surface stop the bait and allow it to sink. Keep the bait about a foot down and oh yeah, smother the buzzer with shad fish formula. It may look stupid, but you'll catch some nice fish. P.S. Don't tell anyone I told you this trick. Good luck, Johnnie Crain-Iowa Pro Staff.
Johnnie Crain
JoeM

Murky Water

Post by JoeM »

Jeff & Johnnie- Another great post by both of you. Board Members are really getting super information from you gentlemen.

Much obliged. Bass Regards to you both.
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
mofish

Murky Water

Post by mofish »

One thing to remember about muddy water or stained water. Actually two things They move shallower and closer to cover. Here when the water stains the fish move up and get close to something so they feel safe that is when the pitching and flipping rods come out for me. Oh yes make repeated cast to anything that you see. Give the fish plenty of opertunities to bite that lure.

Johnnie,I to have caught alot of fish on a buzz bait worked just under the water. Right now I am working on a spinnerbait that has a buzz bait blade on it for this situation. Ill keep ya posted on how it works.

Conley Staley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
dansfishntales

Murky Water

Post by dansfishntales »

It seems like Johnnie and I are always following one another on this stuff, but then again we only live a few miles apart.

The flippin and pitchin is my game in muddy water, but when moving along a little faster I'll throw a gold bladed white/chartreuse spinnerbait, with plenty of thump. This why I liked the Thumper Colorado Stanley had a few years ago. I also used this in the tandem series. Turtle shell blades, with a diamond pattern also work well for flash and vibration.

If a missed strike comes from around a stump, or wood pile I'll quickly grab the pitchin' rod to toss in a soft plastic lure. usually something that has some chartreuse somewhere.

Another soft plastic lure that I've found to work very well is the Gambler Crawdad Ribbon Tail. The one side is like a long goldish flash as it comes over the wood.

Not to forget the crankbaits, I've had great success bumping stumps, especially out on the points of Mississippi River islands in slow to mild current, with a Norman Quarterback. My best color has been bone/orange, but the good old fire tiger also works.

For soft plastics colors I like, crawdad, black neon/chartreuse, smoke/red flake, black/blue(sometimes), pumpkinseed/orange and watermelon/chartreuse. The lures are Salt Craws, ribbon tail worms, and tubes.

I would also suggest a rattling sinker when Texas rigging. I use the Gambler Pro Rattlin' model, which is black.

The main thing to remember in murky water, it is equivalent to us being in a fog. Noise will be heard first, with a duller flash, like fog lights, to aid in location.
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
JoeM

Murky Water

Post by JoeM »

Mofish- Conley, I like the way you describe the way a bass gets real close to something in this situation. Maybe then he's a bit more adventurous and likely to make a mistake. Along comes your SpinnerBuzz and POW!!!

Dan- And I also like the comparison you made about being in a fog. Especially the part about the fog lights.
As for the soft plastics, I notice you said that you use black/blue (sometimes). Does that mean craws may only take on this color at certain times (in your area) or is it for a different reason? (In the northeast in many waters black/blue is a great match to crawfish)

Much obliged to both of you. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
dansfishntales

Murky Water

Post by dansfishntales »

Joe,
I've noticed that the black/blue seems to work best during colder or cooler weather. Most of the time, especially in the Mississippi River, the black neon/chartreuse craw worm in the first choice in style of lure, with pumpkinseed or brown/orange falling right along side. I'll also have a black/blue to toss for no other reason, but to just see if they will hit it instead of the other colors. To me black/blue is so productive that it is a coverall, and confidence lure.

Now I'll probably start another discussion on confidence lures.
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois