WANTED- Questions????????????????

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Hi- This is JoeMo, Moderator of the BassinUSA Message Boards.

I'm posting THIS OPEN INVITATION to ALL Bass Anglers to post their toughest question for our Pro Staff Team. Let's have it; the Team will be ready to give it their best shot.

The Moderator has posed most of the questions up to this point. However, we aren't sure that sure that they are representative of what YOU are interested in. The only way to know that answer is to solicit questions.

OK, let's hear it..........................
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

This ISN'T a reply. I just want to reiterate that we want all you bass anglers out there to come aboard and post your flat out toughest bass questions for our able Pro Staff to answer.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS, YOU HAVE BEEN INVITED TO POST YOUR QUESTIONS ON BASSINUSA. THEN, LET THEM IN ON THE SECRET; THEY CAN POST QUESTIONS,TOO! (I realize that all caps is like shouting. Please accept my apologies for shouting.)

BTW, there are other boards, too:

Tournaments- Tackle and Equipment- Fishing Reports- Fishing Jargon- General Fishing Talk

On these other boards, you can also answer other guy's questions. (If you want to) So, let's hear from you. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
YAR

Post by YAR »

ok joe, here is a question. how do you (the pro-staff)match the rod and reel for each set up(topwater, jig, crankbait and worming etc.)what size line,action of the rod,length of the rod and also what brands do you use and why? what makes one rod better for let's say a spook then a buzzbait or a tube then a tx-rigged worm etc.
oh ya, love the new pic joe!
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Ray C

First, I believe an angler needs only two type rods and reels, bait casting and spinning. I like spinneing reels for wormin' and jiggin'. I prefer fast speed heavy duty bait cast reels for just about all my fishing, I save the spinning stuff for really tough times when finesse is required. I use a Berkley Lightnin' Rod that is six feet in length with eight guides. The action is heavy. These rods have the backbone to haul big fish out of cover yet are cast friendly and lightweight. I use a South Bend Phase 2- BCR 510 reel filled with 12# test Stren Easy Cast in the brown (coffee) color. This line will stretch just enough to help fight a fish but has plenty of strength to force a fish into submission, and best of all the line is highly resistant to wear and tear, I fish rocks wherever rocks are present. This setup is used for carnkbaits, jigs and deep water spoon fishing. For worms and topwater baits I like the new Berkley Iron Silk line in fourteen pound test. I fish it on the same rod and reel listed above. This line is flexible, but unbelievably strong and detecting strikes is easy. I will at times go to a mnedium action rod for topwater baits, especially the walk-the-dog-baits, this setup gives the bait a little more action and a second delay when the fish strikes, I often jerk the bait away too fast witha heavy action rod. Again, you only need a couple of rod and reel sets, keep it simple and learn to make the best use of what you have. I know guys who think they have to have a rod and reel for each lure, wish I could afford that, but I'd still prefer what I have. The most important item in fishing is always with us, our brain. Johnnie Crain Iowa Pro Staff.
Johnnie Crain
d.mcgarry

Post by d.mcgarry »

Ray C, I will not even tell the average just starting out fisherman how many Rods I bring to a tournament, but in the interest of new anglers (So we don't distract them, thinking if only had one more special Bait, rod ,reel, boat) I say carry seven rods. Bass fishing can be compared to golf, although you could play golf with one club, you could not play it well. You will need 3 spinning rods, my pick are two Tony Bean Team Diawa spinning rods with 1300 Diawa ss reels and one 5'6" 753 Boron X Fenwick with a smaller Pinnicle dead bolt, ( I replaced this lat year with the smaller Diawa reel and a 5'6" Cast-Away rod). The Spinning rods should all be extra fast taper (80%-20% blank), fish 4#-6# on the little rod, grubs tubes hair jigs wheightless Senkos, Fish all other tubes extra small cranks slider worms and Pointer 78's on the other two with line 6#-10#. (I like vanish) The other four rods are two crankin stiks Team Diawa Rick Clunn or 7' Lamiglass,Phenix thick butt with a parabolic action to forgive last minute runs by large bass at the boat, I like 5500c reels or quantum 501ex's with 10# to 20# line. My last two rods are 7' jig rods with Shimano Chronarchs and 40# - 50# power pro braid for jigs slop and spinner baits. If you require more info ask again, Good Bassin Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Ray- The answers from these 2 fine gentlemen
pretty well spells out that answer, right?

I got so itchy listening to some of this stuff that I'm headed for the border tomorrow to fish the NYC reservoirs. One is only about 6 miles from my house. (East Branch)

Good posts, guys. Keep up the good tips.
Good Fishing,
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Okay guys, here's my question. What are some sound techniques you use when a cold front has passed through, you know the conditions, high blue sky, high barometric pressure, no wind, bright penetrating sunlight? It gets extremely tough and maybe we can offer some insights to less experienced as well as experienced anglers. We will all face these conditions more often than we'd like.
Johnnie Crain
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Johnnie- I usually don't answer these questions at least until the Pro Staff guys like yourself start providing answers.

However, I think the best answer that I can give is that I would make sure to be a back-seater in one of Bassin'USA's Pro Staff Members' boats.

That being said, who's next? JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
JT_BAGWELL

Post by JT_BAGWELL »

Johnnie,

One thing I use A LOT when a cold front hits is a 1/4 ounce Lunker Lure Rattle Back Jig. I use a Zoom Super Chunk as a trailer. This larger chunk makes the bait fall super slow. Often times when the jig hits the bottom I will just leave it there and shake the tip of my rod really hard. I might go through the shaking routine a few times before I hop the jig again.

Another bait I use (and I am only telling you guys this one because we are all friends now lol) is the Lucky Craft Pointer 100. This lure is simply awesome. You can work the bait several different ways and since it suspends you can just stop it and keep it in front of old Mr. Bass a little longer. The thing that makes the Pointer so much better than other jerkbaits on the market, is the special brass weights inside that cause the lure to actually vibrate on the pause. Give it a few good twitches and you can "walk the dog" underwater. I am telling that this bait is AWESOME.

Ok I am done babbling Who's next?

Jeremiah T. Bagwell
Jeremiah Bagwell : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
brianc

Post by brianc »

With regards to post frontal conditions and tight-lipped bass, I like to reach for the spinning rod and go to the boat docks and other shallow cover with a 4" finesse worm rigged on light line and a 1/16 -1/8oz weight. This setup is so subtle and natural that bass cant refuse it. Make enough good casts with it and the bites will come - put it in places other guys wont. Contrary to popular belief it will get the big fish also.

If that's not happening I like to switch gears and try to force the bass into reacting, but I stick with the spinning tackle and go to the little crankbaits. Moving at a rapid clip, I get in a little tighter to sloping banks and fish parallel, looking for any irregularities or isolated cover, like individual sticks, rocks, stumps, grass beds, etc...

Psychology is important when dealing with post frontal conditions as well - as bass anglers it has been driven into our heads that post-frontal = tough-bassin', yet this is not always true. Play to your strengths first, then evaluate and move onto different tactics. You may find the front has had little effect on the bass you were previously targeting.
Brian Caudill : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Ohio