Toho Rig Livewell

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeMo

Toho Rig Livewell

Post by JoeMo »

I have had this livewell rig for 5 years, but am always looking to improve the system.

What do you Pro Staffers suggest considering that I already use Catch & Release, add ice (in plastic bags or plastic bottles) and have 2 separate bilge pumps and PVC units giving the max amount of aeration.

Can I add additional insulation of any sort?
I hear O2 might help, but I'd get a lot of comments on that. lol

Let's hear about good suggestions. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
mofish

Toho Rig Livewell

Post by mofish »

Joe,
The next thing that I will be adding to my live well is a air pump.

A 12 volt air pump like you use in a bait bucket some tubing that you get at a pet store for a fish tank, air stone (large one) and some fish safe silicone sealent.

Drill a small hole at the top of the live well and run the tubing all the way to the bottom of the live well through the hole leave enough to run to the pump. Now find you a place to mount your pump in the battery compartment. Hook the pump to your battery with a switch on the dash of the boat. Run you hose to the pump and attach the air stone. Make sure there are no kinks in the hose. take a small amount of silicone and put it on the back of the air stone. Stick this up off the bottom of the livewell. (you dont want it on the bottom because it would stay wet and get clogged up from the trash in the livewell. Now tack the hose to the side of the well. Make sure you leave some extra hose so that when you do have to replace the stone there is some room to work with. Fill the hole you drilled with the silicone so it does not leak into the boat.

One thing I left out is the antisiphone valve so that the water does not back up into the pump. Put this as close to the pump as you can but leave enough room to replace it when needed.

I think this is a good idea. It would help with the circulation of water and put some much needed air back into the water. If this can keep tropical fish alive for long periods of time it should work on a livewell for fish shouldn't it?

Any way hope this helps someone.Just one more thing to look at. I know alot of boat companies put the pro air livewell in their boats. I just thought this would be a cheaper way to do it if your boat was not equipt with it, and even if it was what would a extra one hurt.

If you have any questions about this you can go to the STRATOS Owners Web page and look at the tips section there is a detailed instructions better than the ones i gave above and the guy who came up with this deserves the credit for it.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeMo

Toho Rig Livewell

Post by JoeMo »

Conley- As soon as I post this I am making a copy of your post. It sounds like a good insurance policy for not-too-much-money.

Much obliged. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator