hooks for specific tasks

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeMo

hooks for specific tasks

Post by JoeMo »

Pro Staff- I'd like to ask each of you to provide us with your hook recommendation for each of the following presentations. You can indicate brand names if you wish. In fact, it might be the best way to indicate the exact hook. Please include the size (a no-brainer)

a- Texas Rigged Worm (Small, like 4")
b- Texas Rigged Worm (Large)
c- C-Rig Lizard
d- Tube
e- Brush Hog (one outdoor writer calls 'em
chicken wings and mud flaps)
f- Sluggo/Fluke
g- Wacky-rig

I've added letters to keep you from having to repeat each item. Thanks up front, fellas
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
mofish

hooks for specific tasks

Post by mofish »

Well lets see.

a. 2/0 Mustad staight shank hook
b. 3/0 to 4/0 (depending on worm thickness) Mustad Ultra Point

c.1/0 to 2/0 Mustad Straight shank hook (notice I said straight this might go against what everyone else does but if you put a toothpick through the worm and the eye of the hook it wont slip down and I get a better hook set.)

d. 3/0 Mustad Ultra Point Tube hook

e. 3/0 Mustad Ultra Point Tube Hook (for the extra bite it has with the thick Brush Hog)

f. 5/0 Owner (i get a better hook set with the owner)

g. 2/0 Mustad straight shank hook.

from Kevin VanDam's Book.

You get a better hook set with a straight shank hook because of the relationship of the hook point and the hook eye. Which means more power to the hook point. If you have a problem with the worm slidding down the hook use a toothpick through the worm and hook eye and cut off the ends of the toothpick. You can also use worm glue to hold it in place.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
MMT

hooks for specific tasks

Post by MMT »

a- Texas Rigged Worm (Small, like 4")-2/0 EWG Gammie

b- Texas Rigged Worm (Large)-3/0 EWG Gammie
c- C-Rig Lizard-2/0 or 3/0 Straight shank Gammie

d- Tube...for a Texas rig???2/0 EWG or 3/) TTi..X-15
e- Brush Hog- 3/0 EWG Gammie

f- Sluggo/Fluke-2/0 offset Owner Magnum Gap
g- Wacky-rig-size 4 Gammie Split shot hook

Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

hooks for specific tasks

Post by JoeMo »

Conley & MMT- It is interesting to note some of the similarities (like both of you using Owners for Sluggos, although not the same size; and also both using straight shank hooks for C-Rigged lizards)

Also the differences (like Conley using a 2/0 straight shank for a wacky set-up, while MMT goes to the #4 Gamakatsu Split Shot hook.)

I hope you other guys are taking notes; I certainly am. (Man, I love this job!) Now, lets hear from you other Pro Staffers. The weekend is coming.......... JoeMo

PS- Conley, thanks for the comment by Van Dam
Good Fishing,
MMT

hooks for specific tasks

Post by MMT »

Joe, it depends on the size of the soft jerkbait. I like a 4" to 4.5" most of the time so I go with the smaller hook. As for the Carolina rig, I like the straight shank hook because I feel it keeps the bait from spinning. The hook acts like a keel. For wacky rigging which I learned quite by accident a few years ago on Maho with Larry Lynch, I was throwing a Jersey rig worm on a size 1/0 straight shank gammie. I had a great day with my 5 best around 23lbs but the sheer number and size of fish lost on this rig with that hook perplexed me. I know I could have done even better that day. I kept losing a large percentage of big fish boatside with that damn hook. I had a long conversation with Jerry Puckett from the Inside Line and he set me straight about the splitshot hook. I've used it ever since and notice it is the best model I've tried for wacky rigging. I hate circle hooks. The Octopus series is a second choice.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

hooks for specific tasks

Post by JoeMo »

MMT- I have an excellent regard for the Gamakatsu Split Shot Hooks that GYCB sells as opposed to the Gammy Split Shot (black) hook

The GYCB model is slightly more weedless plus it has a circle hook quality (You only have to let the bass hook himself in the corner of his mouth.) I also use these with the Ikas.

Which S.S. hook do you use? JoeMo
Good Fishing,
bigdaddy1223

hooks for specific tasks

Post by bigdaddy1223 »

2/0 for 4" texas rig

4/0 for larger Texas rig

3/0 for Carolina rig

3/0 for Brush Hog

3/0 for Fluke

These sizes are all Xpoint Wide Gap, the sharpest hooks made. I get a better hook up percentage then most. I dont knock anyones elses brand, because they are all good.

2/0 HP hook for tubes

5/0 wide gap for Wacky

The 5/0 is not a misprint, some think Im crazy, but the weight gives my bait the perfect fall rate, and makes the plastic do some weird things!
Mike Bailey : Bassin' USA Prostaff : North Carolina
JoeMo

hooks for specific tasks

Post by JoeMo »

Mike- Good to hear from you.

When you can use the sharpest possible hooks that's what I would do. I have a friend who thinks some hooks are "too sharp". He's been known to "rough up the point" a bit. (Plus he's a machinist, among his other talents.)
Must work for him. He has won his Club's Mr. Bass Award five out of the last 20 years.
(My hooks are sharp, especially those on my lighter rigs. If the bass even looks at the bait, he's hooked!)lol

Now, that 5/0 is the Trick Worm wacky-style, right? I still haven't tried that out yet. Do you use a nail in one end or not?

I now have all the parts of the puzzle. I just have to get back in the game. lol

Enough about me. Mike, thanks for posting. If you fellas help 10% of the board members select the right TYPE hook, this Board will have done its job. Agreed, sometimes a certain hook is only manufactured by one company. (Such as HP; known in some circles as the "Shaw Grigsby Hook")

Much obliged. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
ukey28

hooks for specific tasks

Post by ukey28 »

Hey MMT,
Why the dislike of the circle hooks? Bad experience with them? I haven't had any problems...yet. But I only use them for wacky presentation or c-rigging in water without much weed. Straight question.
Frank
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
MMT

hooks for specific tasks

Post by MMT »

Frank, I just don't have the confidence in them. I like a straight taper on the barb side of the hook, like an octopus hook has. The Split Shot hook is the closest I use to the Circle and I do really like that model.It kind of reminds me of a micro size Kahle hook. I've used the Owner Mutu light circle hooks but just feel they are less effective than my other choices. Might be all in my head though. Any advice?? I don't notice any difference when I set with them...steady pressure by cranking down then maybe a slight pop of the wrist or lifting of the rod tip when I think it starts to dig in. My theory has always been, if one thing works for you, why change it up but I guess that could limit versatility.-C
Craig DeFranzo