very spooky bass

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
bassin butch

very spooky bass

Post by bassin butch »

I have a question about techniques PROS use in the situations I have encountered below. At 4 different lakes I have encountered bass that are so spooky the they take off when the lure is in the air. No splash yet just visual spooked. Are these fish even catchable? On a different lake I was skipping under a pontoon boat and on 2 different casts a 3 lb bass followed the lure almost all the way up to my boat then swam back under the pontoon. The 3rd skip she showed no more interest.
Any suggestions?
Bassin Butch
mofish

very spooky bass

Post by mofish »

Bassin Butch,

I don't know if you could catch them after they have spooked or not. But if you are in a position were you can throw you bait at a angle right up on the bank and drag it into the water. Throwing at an angle will help reduce the chances of the fish seeing the lure. Landing on the bank and dragging it in will not give you the splash to spook them.

As far as the fish following but not biting well that fish can be caught. You got her intrested in what you were using. You could have tried a slightly different color tube or a different size tube. If still no luck try something totally different like a fluke or a 4" worm. The fish is catchable because she followed the bait. I wouldn't give up on her till I found what she wanted.

Hope that helps.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
johnnie crain outdoors

very spooky bass

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Quote:Originally posted by bassin butch:
I have a question about techniques PROS use in the situations I have encountered below. At 4 different lakes I have encountered bass that are so spooky the they take off when the lure is in the air. No splash yet just visual spooked. Are these fish even catchable? On a different lake I was skipping under a pontoon boat and on 2 different casts a 3 lb bass followed the lure almost all the way up to my boat then swam back under the pontoon. The 3rd skip she showed no more interest.
Any suggestions?
Bassin Butch
Johnnie Crain
johnnie crain outdoors

very spooky bass

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Bassin Butch, I will assume the waters you are fishing are very clear. First, I would use a spinning rod and reel loaded with six to eight pound line. Then add a plastic tube, salt craw or similar bait, add no weight. Personally, I prefer to use a three inch twister tail, like a spinnerbait trailer in white or pearl and a number two Daiichi hook. Cast this rig as far as you can, put as much distance between you and the fish as possible. Allow the bait to sink very slowly, add no action until it rests on the bottom. Then simply twitch the bait, hopefully the fish will strike as the bait falls. If fishing from a boat, keep a low profile, I once encountered this situation in a tournament and fished on my knees all day, keeping the cast low to the water. One other comment, If the water is extremely clear and the sun is shining, try to avoid floresant lines, even the clear blue type I usually prefer, the line will actually transmit light rays through the water which may spook the fish. Don't give up, one of our pros will solve your problem, hopefully me. Johnnie Crain, Iowa Pro Staff.
Johnnie Crain
jeffohioteam1

very spooky bass

Post by jeffohioteam1 »

In clear water, speed of your retrieve is the key, if you can get a cast in without spooking the bass, work your bait erratically and fish it fast.
Jeff Chudzinski : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Ohio