My Dock, Your Boat, Our Water

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Now, this scenario has been played out on this Board at least once in the past. However it came up as part of another question and didn't possibly get input from a lot of anglers.
This is the story:
I own a dock. You are fishing a tournament.
As you approach but haven't casted yet, I walk out and sit in my deck chair with a beer
I am not aware of your presence. What do YOU do? (I really don't have to do anything but relax and drink my beer. I'm really an easy guy to get along with. But you don't know that)
Do you shrug your shoulders and move on?
Or do you go ahead and cast?
Or....?
Any other Ethics that might be relevant? Please bring them right in the discussion.
A lot of you fellas live with this kind of experience all the time.
Good Fishing, JoeMo Moderator
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

Its situations like this that I try to avoid finding dock or marina patterns, but at times that is the pattern that wins so one must do what is against his will. Yes the lake is public property, but the dock (or boat next to it) is private property. Hitting either with the lure can damage the property in the eyes of the owner. I would simply ask if he minds me making a few casts. If he says he does mind, i will move on and return when he is gone and then fish his dock. Out of sight out of mind
Tim Carini
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I agree with Tim. I would ask the person if they mind me making a few casts around their doc.

In one tournament on Greenwood Lake (NY/NJ), the bass were relating to docs. It was the kind of day that makes bass fishing seem easy (at times). Every bass was positioned in almost the exact same spot on every doc I fished. It was a nice pattern and it held true from the north end of the lake all the way down to the south end. Anyways, I came up to a doc where I had seen a nice bass about 4 1/2 lbs during practice. There was a few people sitting on the doc, and before I approached it, I engaged them in some general conversation about the weather. They responded in a friendly manner, and asked the usual "How's the fishing today?” I replied "Un-believable, I must have caught 35 bass today." They responded "Really?" at this point I saw an opportunity to ask permission, but took a different approach...

I asked, "Would you like to see me catch a big bass, because there is a big one sitting right underneath your doc?"

They responded with a bit of sarcasm "Sure, let's see you do that..."

I moved my boat around to the shady side of the doc, skipped a jig under the back corner and was immediately rewarded with a vicious strike. I set the hook and dragged out a bass that weighed in at 4lbs 10oz. The people on the doc where amazed, and I felt pretty damn good about myself. (That fish gave pushed me over the top for 1st place) and I was able to provide them with some afternoon entertainment.

I made a few more cast at the doc while making small talk. Then I thanked them, wished them a pleasant afternoon and moved onto the next doc.

Great story… eh?

I guess the main point is that if you are respectful and courteous to strangers, most of the time you can expect to get the same in return.
Brendan C.
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Gentlemen: You realize that your answers were right on! Posts like these concerning ethical issues have the ability to open the minds of all fishermen to the concerns of waterfront property owners. As Pro Anglers you have made it your business to attempt to understand what bugs a shoreline owner whether or not that owner owns a dock or a boat.
Until 4 years ago, I never owned property on a lake. Believe me when I say that it gets scary when you are standing on your own dock and some guy starts casting to the water a few feet away from your feet! (Especially when expertise is not the guy's strong suit.) It doesn't happen much, but it has happened.
Because I use the dock only when I load my boat, I generally just walk back up the stairs to my back yard and play the waiting game. When he leaves, I go back to the boat. By then, my blood pressure has returned to normal.
If a guy strikes up a conversation, we talk and then I move the boat away from the dock far enough for him to make a few casts at it. (Might learn something I should know)
None of this is because I am a great guy or local benefactor. The dock cost a pretty penny and I'd rather no one send lead, hooks or any other airborne objects at it. I do realize that it is going to happen and it will be far less painless if I manage it and don't fight it.
If this sounds like some education for property owners, it is. While I don't live on Candlewood (Glad I don't. Away out of my price range and far too noisy most of the season) All of us (people) must learn simple tolerance of other people. I'll stop there before I get accused of bringing politics into this. That is not my intent.
While we're at it, I'd like to extend an invitation to ALL Pro Staff Members to give their take on how to handle this very delicate "interpersonal relationship" between waterborne and land-locked humans.
Let's hear it, guys.
Bass Wishes, JoeMo Moderator
Good Fishing,
mofish

Post by mofish »

My home lake has hundreds of boat docks all along the lake. There are many of them that are brushed out and have excellent fishing around them.

You can tell by looking at the dock alot of times if the person minds you fishing it. If it has slides and diving boards and jet skis on it, this person may not be a fisherman, and has kids swimming around the dock. He doesn't want hooks hanging from his dock because of the kids. I avoid these docks, because I don't blame him. I wouldn't want my kids getting hooks in them because someone got hung up and had to break off.

I look for docks that have fishing boats and rod holders attached to the dock. One this person is a fisherman. Two there is somekind of cover around that dock. Most fishermen understand that you want to fish their dock.
If they are on their dock I will talk with them and carry on a conversation before I ask if they mind if I make a few cast. That breaks the ice between the two of you. If I hit something with my cast a say I'm sorry and thank them and then leave. If they are fishing off the dock I give them plenty of room and talk with them. Just talking with some of the folks makes them feel better about you. If there are kids on the dock I aways offer them the worms that I have laying on the deck of the boat that have been used. You would be suprised at how much that helps. Buy that time they are telling me were their brush piles are located and what they been catching them on.

A little kindness and consideration goes along ways. You would be suprised at how many tell me that they have had guys pull up and fish their dock and never even speak to them. I can't understand it? Some of the best fishing spots on the lake have been told to me by dock owners just because I spoke to them and gave their kids something from the boat.

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Conley- It is very obvious that TX anglers go out of their way to work with the shoreline inhabitants on their waterways. Especially after you indicated that your fellow bass anglers honor your water in tournaments. It is really the only way to go. I know that if I ever get to Texas, I will do the same thing
that you do.
Thanks again for contributing. Your posts have been excellent.
Good Fishing, JoeMo
Good Fishing,
mofish

Post by mofish »

I'm Not saying that all of them are that way. But the good folks that I fish with are that way. Of course we all know each other and have been fishing and helping each other for the last three years now.

If you ever do come to Texas give me a shout and I will take to some good fishing spots.

conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
britchie

Post by britchie »

Conley is right, a little kindness and consideration goes a long way when you encounter this situation.
And Brendan hit it on the head, when your respectful and courteous you will get the same in return. But why dos it seem that the majority of lake front property owners are not avid fisherman. And one bad apple ruins the bushel.
Brian Ritchie : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Kentucky
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Conley- Southern hospitality that extends to the waters edge is great, but it doesn't surprise me. I may hold you to that offer if I get down there.
Brian- That hospitality includes KY as you indicate. I think the reason why most shoreline residents aren't anglers is they are too busy earning the tax money for their homes and don't have time for fishing.
Good Fishing and thanks to you for great posts! JoeMo
Good Fishing,