Maintaining Concentration

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

The Aug. 2002 issue of B.A.S.S. Times asked four Touring Pro's the following question:

What do you do to maintain concentration while bass fishing?

This question is for anyone. Even if you've never fished a tournament, let's hear how you keep your wits about you, even though things have turned to ****.

No answer is unimportant. If it works for you, perhaps it will work for Looie or Sam or the guy next door. We want to hear from you.
Post now. Lines are short. lol
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

OK, I will start. Many years ago (and I've been "around" many years) a bass guide asked me if I could see my bait. I said "Of course not, we're in 10 ft. of water." He told me to close my eyes and try to "see" my bait. To this day I haven't really seen my bait in the deep water, but since then I have a heck of a lot better idea what it is doing.

The guide had taught me how to concentrate (or to regain concentration)and I didn't even know it at the time. Try it; it works.

Now, it's your turn- every one of you.Let's hear it. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
mofish

Post by mofish »

JoeMo that is a great point. Every time I start to feel myself slipping into that funk of not paying attention I stop what I'm doing and sit down in the boat and retie my my baits. I check up the line for nicks and sometimes there are none, but what this does is give me a chance to stop what is not working and think about something different that I could do that might work plus I start out with a freshly tied lure that I know the knot and line are in good shape. I may not change the baits but at least I can stop and clear my mind a bit and get back the confidence and consentration.

The problem is realizing when I am slipping into that problem. Missed fish, checking the watch, daydreaming, and lets not forget the backlash or professional overrun. These are all things that key me into the fact that I am starting to lose that consintration level that I need to catch fish. I even pull out my ultra light tackle sometimes with a small four inch worm and try to catch something, anything. This forces me to get back in tune with what it feels like to catch a fish.

My home lake has experenced alot of hard times on it and still alot of pressure there are lots of time you don't catch anything at all in 8 hours. This can take alot out of you during the day. These are the things that I do to get it back. I'm looking forward to some of the others posting so that I can see what it is they do.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Joe,

Great point! Picturing the bait in the water is something I have always done and it can really keep you focused and present. He is something to try next time your on the water:

“Don’t make a cast until you see the fish”

Now, I don’t mean that you should start sight fishing and only make cast until a fish is visible. What I mean is; before each cast, imagine exactly where that fish is located. Picture that the fish is sitting right where you are about to cast your lure and anticipate a strike.

BC
Brendan C.
MMT

Post by MMT »

Good point Bren.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Guys- I'm interested in seeing how many Pro Staffers are available over the next few weeks, now that the "big leagues" have started tournaments for the new season.

Stay with us. If there is any new technique winning its way in tournament action, you can count on Bassin'USA to I.D. it and put it under the microscope.

Thanks for the posts. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
dansfishntales

Post by dansfishntales »

When my concentration starts to go it feels more like all I am doing is casting and reeling. There just isn't any feel to the lure.

To get it back I will slow down, or switch to a confidence lure. Better yet, if I'm in the right area I'll move into cover and get out the flippin' rig, with Gorilla Braid line. Working a lure this way, with the braided line, will give me the feel, and start my mind working again. Flipping is a high concentration technique, since there is very little distance between the angler and the fish, and reaction has to be quick.

I'll also do a little of the previously mentioned - set down and think a bit.
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
MMT

Post by MMT »

I liken losing concentration to burning your tongue and not being able to taste the food you are eating. You are simply going through the motions but not enjoying the flavor. Dan brought up a good point about casting but feeling ineffective. To me concentration and confidence go hand in hand. If I lose one, losing the other happens quickly. It is impossible to remain at the highest level of concentration at all times but I feel it is equally difficult to lose it all as well. When fishing, I attempt to leave all of my everyday dilemnas behind me to start. Next, if I'm having a tough time, I do not let it rattle me. If you succumb to pressure you put on yourself, you will disrupt your concentration.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Keep going, guys. I'm taking notes.

The level of energy exhibited by these posts is phenomenal. I feel like going down to my lake right now. If I wasn't waiting on a phone call and being on-line here, I would at least go down and boat around awhile. Then again, I would fish awhile.

Excellent stuff, fellas.
Good Fishing,
d.mcgarry

Post by d.mcgarry »

To maintain Concentration I just keep telling myself that every time I am unsuccesful and learn from it I get closer to finding the pattern. If something is bothering you take time to change it, if you are cold put on a jacket if you are hot take off your jacket, if the bait is the wronge color change it if you have a feeling make it happen trust your intuition. Remeber to only think about the season the weather and the bass's enviorment. I drive to the lake without the AC on and keep the heat off let your body adjust to all the conditions. I stay away from idle dock chatter it can make you second guess your self. Approach each day on a body of water as a new day and challenge, feel the changes in the enviorment and make subtle adjustments and most of all remember the definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over again an expecting a different result!!! Never ever put the boat on the trailer early regardless of conditions No Fish or 20 pound limits, the best has not yet been achieved and your not out of it until the last boat is on the trailer. Good Bassin Dan bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York