HAND MADE PRIDE

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
JoeM

HAND MADE PRIDE

Post by JoeM »

Craig- Are you taking soup to Missouri?
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
MMT

HAND MADE PRIDE

Post by MMT »

Actually that was Sienfeld line but yes, I will have some pours to throw in the Ozarks.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeM

HAND MADE PRIDE

Post by JoeM »

Seinfeld? My favorite TV show. Was the soup served by the guy with the attitude?

Anyhow, enjoy yourself in the Ozarks. I loved Missouri, but only for 2 years. (Hint- I was in Fort Leonard Wood) Of course there was about 1/3rd the amount of bass water there in 1953-54. Never got to fish it.

Have a great time out there. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
MMT

HAND MADE PRIDE

Post by MMT »

Missouri was fun, I've had a hankering to tie some really sweet hair jigs. I may just do this in the near future.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeM

HAND MADE PRIDE

Post by JoeM »

Go for it! It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Welcome back. Joe
Good Fishing,
RedSS

HAND MADE PRIDE

Post by RedSS »

Hey dude. Some years back I started taking apart spinnerbaits and creating my own with the components. I was frustrated with not being able to find the baits that have worked so well for me in New England's comparatively clear waters. Now I make all of them from scratch, from pouring the lead to sliding on the blades. Spinnerbaits are some of the simplest lures to make, and with the prices of premium spinnerbaits, you can cut the cost in half by purchasing premium components and making them yourself.

I've done some plastic molds, mostly of easy shapes like the Sluggo. Molds are simple to create out of plaster, and last quite a while if not abused. Remember when Sluggos used to be quite soft and palatable when they first came out, and then for whatever reason the compound seemed to get a little stiffer over the years (which to me lessened their effectiveness)? When you melt down soft plastic baits, the hardness is somewhat removed, as tempered metal that is overheated loses it's temper. Hence, you get a nice, soft, pliable soft plastic.

I've done crankbaits before, but they require so much work (if you're making every piece less hooks and eyes yourself) that I tend to stay away from them. I've got about a dozen lying around and another 2 dozen rough wood blanks ready to finish once I get the time. Besides, I'm a spinnerbait dude.